Abt Associates is a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1, the PMI VectorLink Project. The project will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS, insecticide-treated net distribution and capacity building in 25 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
In Ghana, the project intends to establish a laboratory to perform basic entomological biochemical tests in addition to more complex molecular analyses that are contracted out to local institution(s) on an annual basis. Under the supervision of the Technical Director/Entomologist, the Laboratory Technologist will manage the in-house laboratory and liaise with relevant subcontractors to ensure they carry out molecular analysis in a timely manner and in compliance with established protocols.
Listed below are all the Responsibilities, Requirement And Preferred Qualifications Needed
- Performing EnzymeâÂ€Âlinked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) to quantitatively detect malaria sporozoite infections and mosquito blood meal sources in mosquito samples for the detection collected by the project
- Performing tests for the detection and biochemical characterization of insecticide resistance in malaria vector populations in the project districts
- Performing routine laboratory maintenance, cleaning, and organizing
- Maintaining an inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment as needed for laboratory operations
- Supporting the advanced molecular analysis of the project mosquito samples at a subcontractor laboratory by performing complex molecular-based procedures with a high degree of quality and in accordance with established protocols
- Ensuring accurate recording and reporting of molecular analysis data in a timely manner
- Assisting with the project routine entomological data collection activities when required
- Performing other project related duties that may be assigned by his/her supervisor
- Complying with all safety standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff
- Providing administrative support to the entomological unit and the entire project by regularly checking post office boxes, collecting and dispatching letters, parcels and other correspondence, and performing other errands as requested by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree and above in Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Science, Biological Science or an equivalent or combination of education and 2 years of experience
- Experience with most or all of the following techniques is preferred:
- ELISA and biochemical assays
- PCR and qPCR
- Operation of liquid handling systems
- Experience with malaria entomology/applied entomology research methods for laboratory and field studies is preferred
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, adhere to strict protocols, keep accurate records, and comply with company policies
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Strong management and task planning skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- English language fluency
- Experience in international development programs, preferably at USAID-funded programs or other international development experience will be an advantage
- ( 2+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
There is no deadline set for this job position at the time of publishing but be sure to get in touch with the business for further details.
How To Apply
To apply for this position at Abt Associates as Project Assistant / Laboratory Technologist, send you CV and application letter to the link below
Abt Associates official website