Yesterday 5th April 2020, the president of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo addressed the Nation on the ongoing lockdown due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus outbreak in Ghana.
As we reported earlier, Ghana’s President Nana Addo, announced a lockdown on these major cities starting today, 30th March 2020 in a national press statement. Read everything about the lockdown here.
As of 20th March 2020, Ghana has officially recorded 132 cases of the coronavirus and the scare has become more fierce than ever.
Akufo Addo during the nation’s address briefed the nation on various steps taken by the government to permanently fight the virus.
Read also: Government To Pay Water Bills Of All Ghanaians For Three Months – Prez. Nana Akufo-Addo Says | Video
Below are some highlights from his 5th address on the COVID 19:
1. President grateful to all Frontline workers especially Health Workers
2. He showed appreciation to security forces for enforcing the lockdown.
3. Steps that are being taken to investigate the excesses by the security forces.
4. Condemned false videos being circulated.
5. Government working to achieve its main 5 objectives.
6. Confirmed cases of COVID-19 stands at 214
7. The week ahead critical. Over 5,000 contacts traced results to be released.
8. Ghanaians urged to continue to be patient as the government works to contain the spread of COVID-19.
9. Special thanks to all involved in testing for COVID-19.
10. More than GH¢8 million realized from donations.
11. Government is working with other faith-based organisation to provide food for about 400,000.
12. Government to absorb water bills for the next 3-Months.
13. More PPEs, hand Sanitizers etc to be distributed to all district hospitals.
14. More local production of PPEs.
15. All health workers will not pay taxes on emoluments for the next 3 month.
16. 50% basic salary as allowance to all Frontline health workers.
17. Clean up in Greater Accra and Kumasi and will be enforced by the security forces.
18. Ayalolo buses to convey health workers for free